Saturday, July 5, 2014

Farm Fresh Kale & Turkey Salad


Today I had the experience of a dream. I was able to drop by the Farmer's Market early Saturday morning to select the ingredients for my breakfast. And within 40 minutes I was sitting down to enjoy the fruits of the farms of NY State.

I found kale - the latest taste sensation in NYC: in salad, in your shake, and on a slice of ‘zah this vegetable has made it into the hearts and onto the plates of all peeps living in NYC. Yes!

The tomatoes were calling to me. I picked up and smelled one pointed-headed ball of ruby redness and I knew this was going in my cooked salad.

Next were the spring onions, as big as my index finger and nice and spicy. Then a smattering of coriander (good in anything really).

Finally, I found my fresh (never frozen!!) spicy turkey sausage. Mmnnn...

The recipe is super-simple:

Ingredients

  • two links of turkey sausage
  • three cloves garlic minced by hand
  • one whole tomato chopped in big chunks
  • three green onions
  • 1/4 cup of coriander coarsely chopped
  • 3 cups of kale hit with a knife to break up a bit
  • (iced coffee from Beco to keep hydrated)

Instructions

  1. Start by heating a pan and adding enough water to make about a 1 (one) cm pool in your frying pan. Add the sausage and cover the pan to simmer the sausage for about 5 minutes. 
  2. While the sausage is a-simmerin’ add in garlic and green onions. Next add the tomatoes and finally the kale. Allow to cook until the kale has slightly wilted (you want to keep the crunch, so don’t overcook). 
  3. After the kale is looking good, put all onto a plate and reserve the liquid in a bowl for later use. Return the sausage to the pan to brown the sides and then cut the sausage into 1/2 inch circles and add the sausage to your plate. 
  4. Finally use the reserved liquid to soak up all the crispy bits from the cooking pan and pour all over your plate.

Enjoy with a fork!

No comments:

Post a Comment